Wednesday, April 1, 2015

2015, bring it

After a truly batshit crazy AFL off season, Richmond emerges unscathed, unheralded and about as under the radar as the official click bait club can manage to be.

This is the first time in my lifetime that Richmond enter a year having played the last two finals series. Under Hardwick, we've transformed from a club that doesn't play finals to a club that doesn't win them. Still far from ideal, but I know which I'd rather follow.

2015 will likely be defining for the list and Dimma himself. It's basically a referendum on the playing group and the coach. Getting to the finals, in both regulation and dramatic fashion, has been fun but now it's time for more. I suspect the powers that be will keenly observe Rodney Eade's impact at Gold Coast, with Bomber Thompson sitting on the sidelines and a perfect fit should Richmond require a finishing coach to make the most of Hardwick and Hartley's fantastic development job.

The general consensus was that Richmond was underwhelming in the trade and free agency period. But we were never in the game for Beams and Christensen, and any market where James Frawley goes for $700k and Levi Greenwood for $450k is best left well alone. Sure, Jeff Garlett was sitting there but he only ever play any good against us and so did Hampson and that hasn't exactly worked out as planned.

I truly believe Richmond has no ceiling this year. The list has everything it needs to be successful, that combined with Hawthorn on their third year up, Sydney ageing and Fremantle and Geelong surely about to start descending, 2015 is ripe for someone to challenge the old guard. My guess is that challenger will be wearing whatever Port or North's jumper is that week or yellow and black.

Just as Richmond lacks a ceiling, I'm not all that sure where the floor is. It's dependent on a couple of things - injuries to the wrong players (uncontrollable) and how we approach selection (very controllable). Until now, Hardwick and the match committee have been incredibly unadventurous, usually though lack of options. This year options are aplenty, will they go back to the old trusted guard who can get us there? Or try the young players they've recruited to get us to the next stage? Also, unless he's been foxing with the media (willing to give him benefit of the doubt), I'm terrified if he doesn't yet know if our best 22 includes Ty, Griff or both of them. For the record, I'm still a card carrying member of #TeamTy.

As I've said above, I reckon we'll be there at the pointy end. Just how pointy it gets may shape Dimma's RFC legacy.

For now, bring on the Blues. Round one shouldn't mean anything more than the others but when it's that mob it always means a little more, no matter what the round.

We must never forgive them for this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4njV0lXn8PQ. I hate them so very much.

Against my better judgement I'm firing up the blog again for the season (I tried to convince myself not to, but couldn't manage it). And all the votes and obscure awards are back.

Currently I'm operating off an iPad traveling around Europe so the first few rounds will be even more sketchy than usual. I'm reasonably sure I have the Carlton game sorted but if you are at all keen to be the first guest blogger for round two or three sing out and we'll get something sorted. The awards will be the same as last year, which ended up as: http://rfcramble.blogspot.com/2014/12/that-was-that.html, I'll hopefully cover off all the categories and who is eligible in the round one post.

Until then, let's go scores up Malthouse's year from the get go.

No comments:

Post a Comment